Friday, September 30, 2011

The Obvious & The Code by Bellour

According to this article, in a sequence of shots in The Big Sleep, there is "a folding effect which clearly demonstrates the way in which the narration, even down to its details, proceeds through a differential integration of its constituent elements." Personally, I have no idea what that means. I think the article was trying to discuss a formal pattern or several formal patterns created in a series of twelve shots of a conversation between two characters in a car, but I could not follow the author's arguments. Perhaps it would have been clearer if I had seen The Big Sleep before reading the article, or even if a series of screen caps had accompanied the article, but with just the words on the page I was completely baffled. I kept reading over sentences like, "The shots which follow accentuate this imbalance in accordance with a progression which is at the same time inverse, similar, and different to that of the image‐presence progression," wondering how something could be simultaneously inverse, similar and different, and yet still constitute a clear formal pattern.

In fact, the author seemed to be struggling so hard to say something meaningful about these twelve shots that it actually made me think that there was no real meaning in the sequence, it was just the most logical way for the editor to arrange those pieces of footage. Again, maybe if I'd viewed the scene it would have helped my understanding.

Every time I thought I understood a sentence, such as:

"". . . I guess I am in love with you." This phrase, which occurs twice, uttered first by Vivian and then by Marlowe, clearly shows the extent to which the reduplication effect—in this instance a simple mirror effect linked to the admission of love—is constitutive of the narrative."

...it would be follow by a sentence so convoluted I immediately felt lost again:

"But this is so at the cost of an inversion which underscores the fact that repetition is constitutive only inasmuch as it takes its starting point from the difference circumscribing it, within a movement of bi‐motivation which is in fact the specific necessity of this type of narrative."

I really don't understand how I can be eight months away from being an officially college educated adult and still feel barely able to flounder through a six page article in my native language. Did anyone find this article interesting or informative or even comprehensible? Am I just missing some key vocabulary that would suddenly make this all clear to me?

1 comment:

  1. I found the patterns somewhat clearer with the screen caps and diagram, although I'm still not sure exactly what point the author was trying to make.

    ReplyDelete