Tuesday, September 27, 2011

I enjoyed reading the article on Film Noir. I had never heard the term or been aware of what it was. I didn’t know that Film noir was not a genre, but is defined by tone and mood. Also, the fact that Film noir is a specific period of film history. After watching Double indemnity, and comparing to other movies made in that time that I have seen, the article made more sense to me. I began to think differently about certain scenes, for example the first time The two lovers meet in Walters apartment, every room they walk into the lights stay off the entire time. The idea of the four catalytic elements that defined Film noir were very interesting. The War and post war disillusionment, Post war realism, The German influence and the hard boiled tradition, were all helpful concepts in understanding Film noir and the reason behind it.

No comments:

Post a Comment