Monday, September 19, 2011

Formalism & Neo-Formalism by Christie

Well, I'll be honest and say that I didn't really understand much of this article, and what I did grasp vaguely I don't really feel comfortable trying to say anything intelligent about.

In an attempt to find a more simply worded summary of Christie's main points, I googled "Formalism & Neo-Formalism by Ian Christie," which lead me to the blog site for a 2009 semester of this class, where I found posts with titles like "Come On Christie, A Little Less Confusing Please" and comments such as "I don't think I could have gotten any more confused about this article," "I felt that this was a relatively confusing article and it was hard to discern exactly what the focus was," and "What ever happened to saying what you mean and meaning what you say? We know you’re smart, otherwise we wouldn’t be reading your article. No need to fluff your writing to the point of speaking in circles."

If our class is anything like the 2009 class, I'm guessing I'm not the only one who would be very grateful for a more intelligible explanation of these concepts in class.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with Emily. I did not understand a lot of this article by Christie. I also felt that the article was all over the place and not focusing on one point.
    Also, the fact that i am not familiar with the films that were discussed in the article i felt as though i had nothing to relate to. If i was more aware of the information i was reading then maybe i would be able to appreciate her writing, but unfortunately that was not the case.

    ReplyDelete