Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Wilder Interview

The interview with Wilder was extremely interesting because I feel like it brought another dimension to the films that we have watched: Some like it Hot and Double Indemnity. I was shocked to find out that no one in Hollywood would take the main male role because it was too dark. In contrast with some of the characters in movies today, Phil’s role was pretty light so I found that very surprising. It is really interesting that MacMurray was considered an odd casting and that he had done comedies up until that point. I was not familiar with this actor before this movie so it is shocking to me that he usually did comedy because he seems like the serious and witty detective type, not a comedian. Furthermore, Wilder takes about how the woman, who played Phyllis, Stanwyck, lived and breathed the role and she knew everybody’s lines. I think that is reflected very well in the film because she did such a good job at playing a manipulated seductress that she really must have had to “live” that character to do such a seemingly effortless job at playing the part.

Lastly, I was very interested in how Wilder was talking a lot about Star Power. He compared Julia Roberts as a modern day Audrey Hepburn. I found this interesting because I guess Pretty Woman could be a modern version of My Fair Lady. He also mentioned Marilyn Monroe as being one-of-a-kind, saying, “you can meet someone and be enchanted, but then photograph them and nothing” (52). It is very interesting because there is a definite ‘it’ factor that these actors/actresses must possess. I feel like not only do they have to be charismatic in someway off the camera, but then be able to transfer that on camera and have the right tools to be a convincing actor.

No comments:

Post a Comment