Monday, November 14, 2011

Auteur Theory

I thought the concept of the auteur theory in general was very interesting. A film can basically pose a piece of art and the director is the artist but this can be confused with the director as metteurs en scene. I thought Wollen's example of Alfred Hitchcock made this differentiation clear and really allowed me to see how he has established himself as an auteur. I found an article that made the distinction more clear if anyone wants to follow up on these terms...it provides a simple explanation with more clear examples. http://h2g2.com/dna/h2g2/A22928772

I also very much enjoyed reading the interview between Crowe and Wilder. I always find it interesting to know what happened behind the scenes of a movie or what happened before it was shot because just as the audience, we solely see the end result. I sometimes forget that there can be drama before actually shooting especially when trying to cast. Just because I've seen Double Indemnity, I found it particularly interesting when Wilder was describing the directions he gave to Stanwyck. I wonder if what we know about Wilder from this interview would qualify him as an auteur or a metteur en scene?

1 comment: