Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Carringer-- Citizen Kane

It was really interesting to learn the detailed process of the pre-production of Citizen Kane. I really didn’t realize how much detail goes into every aspect of a movie. I thought it was so cool to see all the storyboards and particularly to see how the set design for the Xanadu Great Hall was developed and changed due to budget restrictions. After reading Wilder’s interview, which seemed much more relaxed about the movie production process, it was interesting to see such a detail oriented take on film production. I didn’t realize the legality that goes into these productions, I was very surprised to find out that every step of evolution that the script goes through has to be saved in order to avoid being accused of copy infringement. I also thought that it was really cool that due to their budget restriction, during one of the scenes that required a large audience of people, the audience was actually painted into the background, “resorting to optical trickery” by using light to imitate people using their programs and moving around (87). I am not sure how realistic this looked in actuality but it is a pretty cool idea if the cost of extras is too much.

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree with what Natalie said. I Think it's hard for me to comprehend all the work that goes into the film pre filming. We just see the end result which is an hour and half or so when there are endless amounts of hours dedicated to making and producing the short time that we see. The detailed drawings of Xandu Hall were really unbelievable to me especially because the set crew can really make a drawing come to life. Further, the article mentioned how art department would create elaborate files of their research from different periods and to obtain different styles down to the last detail. One particular aspect of this detail I found interesting was the fireplace. The article mentions how the camera frame affected how the fireplace was made. They eliminated the top mantle because it wasn't shown (in addition to budget issues). I just relate this to our study of camera frame and how thing are strategically placed within the frame. The viewer could have thought there was a reason not to show the top of the fireplace, but in reality it was really because of money.

    ReplyDelete