Monday, October 3, 2011

The Obvious and the Code

At the risk of being repetitive, I find this reading by Raymond Bellour a tad difficult to follow. Having viewed the movie tonight, I know which part of the movie he is talking about, but many of the words and phrases he uses in describing the different shots make the article confusing. Simply on the first page he talks about code, segment, and filmic chain. Now I may not be as advanced in Film Studies/film analysis as others in the class, but I do not know the meaning of those words as they relate to film.

I hope that we can explore this article in class by going through the article along with the series of shots it describes. I will come prepared with my notebook to take notes, and hopefully by the end of class I will know what "The interst of this segment lies in its relative poverty" means in relation to The Big Sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment